3 maggio 2014

Randeep Hooda: I'm in touch with my exes

[Archivio

Com'è come non è, mi ero dimenticata di segnalarvi questa bella intervista (non lasciatevi ingannare dal titolo zuccheroso) concessa dal tenebroso Randeep Hooda ad Ashwini Deshmukh, pubblicata l'11 dicembre 2013 da Filmfare. I’m in touch with my exes:

'He’s the quintessential alpha male and he lets everyone know it. Best part is Randeep Hooda’s tongue-in-cheek humour and no-mincing-words attitude add an edge to his sex appeal. But the capricious actor is a transformed man today. The somewhat difficult nature is now replaced with a more accommodating attitude. Clearly, he’s a man amongst the boys who has seen much more than the fanfare of tinsel town. And just as casually he recalls those drunken nights when he’d get thrown out of house parties. But he’s moved on. To a career that’s alive and kicking. (...) 

Once the poster boy for middle-of-the-road cinema, Randeep now has a place on the rosters of A-list production houses. Banners like Dharma Productions and directors like Imtiaz Ali have placed their faith in the intense actor. “It’s flattering. I consider myself lucky. Not too many people have an outing and then a second outing,” he says of his earlier not-so-eventful stint in films. (...) “I don’t know if I’m a brand yet but I’m getting interesting work out of my comfort zone and that keeps me on my toes. I’m also putting in more effort. I’ve found a way to communicate with myself, thinking about pros and cons, rather than just being moody.” In a confessional mode he says, “I believed I was the centre of the Universe. I was young and brash. Not being from a film family, I did not follow the ‘pairi-pona’ (touching the feet of elders) tradition. I realised that people in the industry are too sensitive and their egos are fragile. All creative people are like that. I was like ‘I’m doing my thing and I am right’. But I realised everyone needs encouragement and respect. So it’s dangerous to be yourself - a brash Jatt,” he smiles adding, “In that way you end up bruising a few egos. I’m not going to make those mistakes again.” It must be mentioned that while his acting skills were never questioned his allegedly brash behaviour and people skills were. “You cannot blame your circumstances because they are somewhere created by your own actions. I blame myself for the bad spell. Also, maybe the timing wasn’t right. But now an actor like me is getting work because of the kind of films being made. Cinema is evolving, so I’m evolving as an actor.”

Also success has triggered a change in him. “I started saying ‘yes’ more than ‘no’. I started trusting people. I’m seeking work rather than being idealistic because unless you reach somewhere, you can’t be idealistic. Beggars can’t be choosers.” Earlier he’d say no to movies for ‘stupid reasons and whims’. “The whole thing about ‘I’m going to do only one movie at a time’ works for stars like Aamir Khan. I couldn’t afford that liberty. Today I’m doing double shifts, small roles, big roles, extreme roles... Basically, I’ve become more professional. I work a lot more, so you see more of me. I’m grateful to what you call ‘fate’. People are knocking at my door now to do their movies as opposed to when I was a nobody. When I step out people treat me with a newfound respect. I even enjoy some privileges here and there,” he smiles.

Bagging a film with Imtiaz Ali sure is a huge achievement. But Randeep thought someone was playing a prank when Imtiaz’s team called him up regarding the project. But eventually the actor did meet the director. “He’s a lovely guy. I’m glad that the ‘Randeep Hooda image’ will be broken. I’m playing a physically and mentally ugly character. So I’m pushing the envelope. It was stepping out of a certain quintessential, mature ‘deep voiced Hooda’ that people had started liking. I did that on purpose.”

He’s also kicked up about working with Salman Khan in the mega project Kick, which he says just ‘fell into his lap’. “I’ve always been inspired by Salman. He’s a real superstar. He doesn’t give a damn about anything. He is what he is, which is difficult to be. I consider him as a friend though we haven’t been in touch for long,” he smiles. Doesn’t he have a problem playing second fiddle to another actor, more so now? “To Salman Khan? Everyone should play second fiddle to him,” he grins.

He was always referred to as a sex symbol but with his homosexual character in Karan Johar’s short film in Bombay Talkies, he’s added an edge to his sensuality. About his lip lock with co-star Saqib Saleem he says, “I guess Saqib was a bit nervous. But when it happened, it just happened. I did not feel uncomfortable at all.” And no, his homosexual act has not made a dent in his female following. “In fact, women have started liking me more. Some even said, ‘You look hot in the movie’,” he says. His well-wishers dissuaded him from playing a gay character but Karan Johar’s conviction made him go ahead. “Karan delivered what was promised and it was not cheap or trivial. It was a deep character. I deliberately played a mature character, someone who has lived his life but there’s pent-up frustration and questions about his sexual orientation.”

Can we safely assume that he’s become the thinking woman’s sex symbol then? “Usually, the thinking woman’s sex symbol is one who’s not so good-looking. But I’d like to be pompous and say that I’m not that bad looking!” he laughs adding, “Actually, for me there’s no distinction between thinking and non-thinking women.” He goes on to add that all the attention has not affected him. “I make it a point to be oblivious to it. That’s the only way to deal with it. Because you’re the same person, just that the people around you change. I don’t get swayed by all this.” He attributes this level-headedness to his past experiences. That’s also got to do with the anonymity and failure he has faced. “I know what the ‘Almost famous syndrome’ is. It’s important to be human and not think that we are God’s gift to mankind... or womankind for that matter,” he grimaces adding, “That’s why I love horses and riding because they don’t know whether my movie is a hit or whether people are talking good or bad about me. They love me regardless.”

His busy schedules and travel leave him without any time for friends or loved ones. “I don’t intend to neglect people but they feel I do. I make an effort to make a phone call or meet them. I was never regular at parties. But when I do attend, I feel nice when people talk to me and compliment me. But you have to keep reminding yourself that, ‘Hey, they are saying all these things because of your work. So go back and work harder.” His career may have taken off but his lifestyle hasn’t. With the exception of a luxury car that he bought for his father, life hasn’t changed much. “My dad had liked this particular car with particular interiors, so when I got money that’s the first thing I bought. Though I now have a big house, I still enjoy sleeping in one corner. I’m not even particular about fancy clothes or eating out,” he says. “It’s hard not to get used to luxuries. But I indulge in what I love. Like I bought this polo team, which I’m going to take forward in a big way. I’m also thinking of buying horses from Germany or England for my show jumping. I’m already buying polo ponies from England.”

His relationship status as of now is ‘single’ courtesy his hectic schedules. “Everything is in a limbo for now because I’m so engrossed with my work.” He adds with a smile, “I’m sure you journalists hear this all the time!” Then on a serious note he explains, “It’s not good to be in a relationship if you can’t contribute. Being just a taker can never work out. Unless I have the time and mental space to enjoy togetherness, I don’t want to be in a relationship. I’ve had some wonderful people in my life. And I’m trying to keep that equation healthy. But I’m not in the frame of mind to have a spouse right now. I am honest about it.” The last time we met, things were different. He was keen on settling down. Remind him and he says, “Yes. I felt that way then and it was wonderful. But then due to work and erratic schedules my personal life took a beating. Sooner or later, someone will fit in. Even if someone doesn’t I won’t regret it. In that sense I’m quite detached.” He chooses not to speak about the much reported relationship with actress Nitu Chandra or anyone else due to the respect he accords to all his relationships. Ask him if he’s in touch with any of his previous girlfriends and it doesn’t take him a second to answer, “All of them. Because my biggest asset is that I am honest. Though it’s hard to be honest in a relationship!”.'